PNG is a floating island of natural resources, 3rd year student says

Third-year Agriculture student Zaphaniah Lao at Radio East New Britain.

Meet Zaphaniah Lao, a third year Bachelor of Tropical Agriculture student at the University who believes PNG UNRE is the best University in PNG to study at.
“Since PNG is a floating island of natural resources, this is the best university that you and I need to come and study at so we can control what is within our country,” he said.
The self-confessed future entrepreneur was speaking on the Government Talk Show on Radio East New Britain to market the University to secondary school students.
Zaphaniah said he knew what he wanted to do for a career while still in high school and began researching about UNRE as a Grade 10 in 2013.
When the time came to fill in his Grade 12 School Leaver Form two years later, he made the radical move of listing UNRE as his first, second and third choice. (Editor’s note: this is not advisable).
“My parents told me, this is not a University, it is Vudal Agriculture College but when I came here I found out that it is actually a university,” he said.
He has enjoyed his three years of study at UNRE because the modules offered are related to what people are doing every day to earn their living.
“Modules we are doing is related to field work, therefore students graduating from UNRE get jobs quickly. I’m also happy to hear that this year the University is offering Honours Program and I hope to be in the program,” he said.
Zaphaniah said he has no regrets with his choice to study Agriculture and dreams of becoming successful person one day after completing his study.
When asked where he wanted to be employed after graduating from the institution, he repeatedly stressed that he has no plans to work for someone else.
“I’m thinking of starting my own business because everything I’m learning in this institution is very related to how I can start my own business. I don’t need to find a job.
“I want to be a simple person and get more money. I don’t want to become a doctor, engineer, pilot or an economist but be a simple person and generate more income,” he said.
He encouraged the Grade 10, 11 and 12 students to apply to UNRE to study any one of the natural resources courses offered – sustainable tropical agriculture, sustainable fisheries, sustainable tropical forestry or sustainable animal production.
Zaphaniah also appealed to parents listening to the program not to discourage their children from applying to UNRE.

Popular posts from this blog

PNG UNRE to offer five new undergraduate programs

UNRE takes back UNRE Popondetta

UNRE launches Cocoa and Goat Integration Manual